Sometimes the hardest part of writing is putting the first word on the page. But fall-inspired writing prompts like these can help.
The benefit to using a writing prompt is that it can spring you from that hard step of starting. And once you’ve answered the prompt, you might just be inspired to write something else too.
- What do you call the season between summer and winter? Why?
- When you step outside in the autumn, what’s it like? Explore the world outside your door through all the senses.
- Describe your favorite fall activity thoroughly and in detail without naming it.
- Set a timer for 10 minutes and write down everything you can remember about autumn from your childhood. Smells, outings, clothing, activities — it’s all fair game.
- Pretend you are talking to your very best friend from childhood. Share the details of a favorite fall memory — both the physical senses of it and the emotional ones.
- Write a step by step guide to your favorite fall dessert. These steps might include the process of making it or they might include the process of procuring it.
- What are the scents of autumn? Write down as many as you can think of. Which are your favorites?
- Think back to Halloween as a child. Write a descriptive paragraph about your most memorable costume. What made it special?
- Write an autumn to-do list. Include the things you wish you could do, the things you plan to do and the things you need to do.
- Write a good-bye letter to summer. Be sure to include your favorite moments in your letter.
- Is sweater weather superior to bathing suit weather? Why or why not? Write 150 words proving your position.
- Write a story about a jack o’lantern. Name the jack o’lantern and give them a full background.
Hope these fall-inspired writing prompts inspire you to get writing!